The Skilled Migration Internship Program - Accounting (SMIPA) is a professional year program approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), available to overseas students who have obtained an Australian accounting qualification as a result of at least two years fulltime study in Australia.
The SMIPA program was jointly developed by the Institute of Public Accountants, the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and CPA Australia, and is delivered by providers jointly approved by all three bodies. Successful completion of SMIPA may attract additional points under the general skilled migration points test.
What SMIPA involves
- a minimum of 44 weeks' training, including a 12 week internship placement with a relevant host company
- professional development and practical hands-on learning, with an emphasis on workplace preparation: Culture, ethics and expectations
- recognition as a pathway for 485 graduate visa holders seeking permanent residency under general skilled migration (GSM)
Enrolment in any of the accounting bodies’ professional programs is independent of an individual’s participation in SMIPA or any other DIBP-approved pathways to permanent residency.
SMIPA aims to achieve learning outcomes that would enhance the ability of a graduate to:
- work within Australian legislative requirements applicable to workplaces and operations
- work safely and participate in occupational safety, health and environment processes
- work effectively within the organisation's requirements, including those for equal employment opportunity and diversity
- communicate effectively in the workplace
- participate in a team
- provide effective client service
- apply occupation-specific knowledge and skills to professional work situations
- implement strategies to manage their personal career development
Who is eligible?
SMIPA is an option for overseas students who have obtained an Australian accounting degree qualification as a result of at least two years' study in Australia and hold a 485 graduate visa.
Graduates of Australian accounting degree programs have the option to complete SMIPA and gain an assessment that can be used to apply for GSM. The professional accounting bodies wish to reassure graduates of Australian accounting degree programs that they still have an opportunity to increase their English language proficiency, or to complete this recognised professional year program.
Who can undertake the program?
SMIPA is available to all overseas students who have obtained an Australian accounting qualification as a result of at least two years full time study in Australia and who hold a 485 Graduate Visa or whose 485 visa application is being processed by the DIBP.
Approved SMIPA providers
- Academies Australasia Polytechnic: Melbourne
- Australian Interpretation and Translation Institute (AITI): Melbourne, Adelaide
- Accountants Resource Centre: Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
- Australian Institute of Practical Accounting: Melbourne (no longer accepting enrolments)
- Australian Technology and Management College (ATMC): Melbourne
- Education Centre of Australia: Melbourne, Sydney
- Holmesglen Institute of TAFE: Melbourne
- Monash Professional Pathways: Melbourne
- Navitas Professional: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
- OTEN: Sydney
- Performance Education: Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney
- Queensland International Business Academy: Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
- Salford College: Adelaide
- Stanley College: Perth
- The University of Queensland, Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education: (ICTE-UQ) Brisbane