The My Public Accountant (MPA) Program is an interactive workshop that provides you with the tools you need to successfully manage and grow your practice.
The program helps MPA holders to identify and understand:
- their professional and legal obligations;
- the issues that confront practitioners; and
- the strategies that will assist growing their practice and enhance the likelihood of a successful practice.
Whilst the MPA Program is targeted at MPAs; attendance is open to those who seek a 'refresher' course or to those researching their decision on whether to enter public practice, with no assessment obligation.
All events run 8:30 am to 4:15 pm. Registrations open at 8:00 am.
Sydney Thursday 23 and Friday 24 October 2014 Presenter Richard CollinsThursday 6 and Friday 7 November 2014 Presenter Richard Collins
Melbourne Monday 20 and Tuesday 21 October 2014 Presenter David Sauer
Brisbane Thursday 16 and Friday 17 October 2014 Presenter Richard Collins
Please note: due to numbers, a dedicated Program will not be offered in Tasmania during 2014. Unless advised otherwise, Tasmanian members are encouraged to register with other Divisions. A reduced regional rate will apply. For further information and advice please contact the Tasmanian Division Office 1800 625 625.
- Thursday 16 and Friday 17 April 2015
- Thursday 15 and Friday 16 October 2015.
- Thursday 19 and Friday 20 March 2015.
- Wednesday 3 and Thursday 4 June 2015.
- Monday 19 and Tuesday 20 October 2015.
New South Wales
- Thursday 5 and Friday 6 March 2015
- Monday 1 and Tuesday 2 June 2015
- Thursday 3 and Friday 4 September 2015
- Thursday 5 and Friday 6 November 2015
- Wednesday 11 and Thursday 12 March 2015
- Wednesday 21 and Thursday 22 October 2015.
- Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 March 2015
- Thursday 29 and Friday 30 October 2015
MPA Program fees
MPA Practice Program: AUD 835 (inc GST). MPA Practice Program Regional Rate*: AUD 625 (inc GST). Competency Review Only : AUD 150 (inc GST).
The fee covers presenters, comprehensive course materials, action guides, lunch and refreshments.
*A regional member is a member residing more than 200 km from a metropolitan area.
How to register
Visit CPE events; select your state and scroll to the MPA Program dates as listed above.
Once registered, registrants will receive a confirmation with further details of attendance times, locations and assessment.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact your division.
All IPA members are obliged to meet the standards of professional competence mandated by IFACs educational pronouncements. These require all MPAs to demonstrate competence in relation to their professional and legal obligations and other practice issues.
Accordingly all members undertaking the MPA Program will be required to satisfactorily complete a short Competency Review. This Review will provide assurance to the IPA and IFAC that holders of the MPA Certificate have demonstrated competence in the areas noted. This Review also provides assurances to the general public regarding the competence of our MPA holders.
MPAs unable to demonstrate competence will be required to satisfactorily complete the Competency Review at the next available opportunity. Members who do not successfully complete the Competency Review may be required to forfeit their MPA Certificate.
Benefits of the MPA Program
The benefits of attending the MPA Program are:
- A 'one-stop shop' which provides answers to the most common new practitioner questions.
- Comprehensive course materials with case studies, illustrations and references.
- Guided learning to ensure you have covered practice essentials.
- Makes sense of overwhelming issues faced by new practitioners.
- Open, interactive and frank discussions with fellow practitioners.
- Expert examination of issues and arguments.
- Sixteen (16) hours of structured Continuing Professional Education (CPE).
- Completes one of the mandatory conditions for MPA Certificate eligibility.
- Contentious issues common to accountants in practice will be aired together with expert advice.
- Guided learning to ensure you are on top of practice essentials.
- Provides a way through the maze of regulation.
It is compulsory for all new IPA MPA holders to attend the MPA Program. You should make arrangements to ensure you are able to participate throughout the full Program. Failure to do so may require attendance at a later event at your own further expense.
I have recently concluded negotiations to acquire a practice. Am I permitted to begin operations before I complete the program?
It is preferable that you complete the MPA Program before commencing in practice. However, it may be possible to issue the MPA and exempt you from the MPA Program for six months or until the next program is available.
You should contact your Divisional office on 1800 625 625 to clarify your situation.
Module 1: Business Issues
Establishing a viable practice / Pricing / Cash flow and financing
Module 2: Professional Obligations
Accounting standards and laws applying to practitioners / Independence and other ethical requirements / Trust accounts / Education
Module 3: Engagement
Liability exposure / Engagement terms and scope of services / Professional Indemnity Insurance
Module 4: Risk Management
Identifying and managing risks / Quality Assurance and Review
Module 5: Tools
IPA's support and services / My Public Accountant
Module 6: Marketing your Practice
Effective marketing techniques / Building your practice
Module 7: Professional issues
Contemporary issues in licensing and regulation, professional services
Module 8: Strategies for your future
Guiding the maturing practice / Continuity and succession
The Program is led by David Sauer and Richard Collins.
David specialises in professional standards and education; with the key goals of improving practitioner capacities and service delivery in his small practice. As well as working with a SME client base, David assists accountants to be compliant, profitable and effective through practical guides and training sessions.
Richard has over 35 years public practice experience in accounting, taxation and audit. A former CEO of an accounting firm, David now focuses on management consulting and forensic accounting.
The IPA MPA Program includes the tips and traps David and Richard have distilled from working with many of your colleagues and observing the developments in the profession.
Cancellations and Refunds
Cancellations must be advised in writing at least 6 working days prior to the event date. An administration fee of 10% of the registration fee (incl GST) will be incurred for cancellations.
A refund will not be granted if a registrant fails to:
- attend the activity; or
- advise the IPA, in writing, that they cannot attend at least 6 working days prior to the event.
Course materials will not be sent to registrants who cancel in the non-refund penalty period.
Exemptions from completing the program are available only to current Professional Practice Certificate holders of the CPA Australia or the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia. If you believe that you are eligible for an exemption, you must contact your division.
If there is any reason that prevents you from participating in this face-to-face workshop, you must contact your division to enquire about eligibility for an extension to complete the MPA Program.
Please note that only matters of extenuating circumstances will be considered.
The IPA is committed to protecting your privacy and meeting Australian privacy requirements.