The Skilled Migration Internship Program - Accounting (SMIPA) is a professional year program approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), available to overseas students who have obtained an Australian accounting qualification as a result of at least two years fulltime study in Australia.
- a minimum of 44 weeks' training, including a 12 week internship placement with a relevant host company
- professional development and practical hands-on learning, with an emphasis on workplace preparation: Culture, ethics and expectations
- recognition as a pathway for 485 graduate visa holders seeking permanent residency under general skilled migration (GSM)
Successful completion of SMIPA may attract additional points under the GSM points test.
The SMIPA program was developed by the Institute of Public Accountants, the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and CPA Australia, and is delivered by registered providers jointly approved by all three professional accounting bodies.
Enrolment in any of the accounting bodies’ professional programs is independent of an individual’s participation in SMIPA or any other DIBP-approved pathways to permanent residency.
Does the IPA provide the SMIPA?
No. SMIPA is overseen by the three professional accounting bodies. The program is delivered by registered providers who have been jointly approved by the three bodies.
Please note – applications to deliver the SMIPA Program will be open in the latter half of 2018. All applicants must be either a Registered Training Organisation or a Higher Education Provider and been registered for at least three years.
To express an interest in becoming an approved Provider please email firstname.lastname@example.org with company details, contact information and RTO/HE registration number.”
Approved SMIPA providers
- Academies Australasia Polytechnic: Melbourne
- Australian Interpretation and Translation Institute (AITI): Melbourne, Adelaide
- Accountants Resource Centre: Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne, Sydney
- Australian Technology and Management College (ATMC): Melbourne, Sydney
- Education Centre of Australia: Melbourne, Sydney
- Monash Professional Pathways: Melbourne
- Navitas Professional: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney (commencing delivering in Darwin and Hobart from February 2017)
- OTEN: Sydney
- Performance Education: Melbourne, Sydney
- Queensland International Business Academy: Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney (not accepting enrolments)
- Salford College: Adelaide
- Stanley College: Perth
- The University of Queensland, Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education: (ICTE-UQ) Brisbane
- Education Centre of Australia (ECA) - Brisbane
Department of Immigration and Border Protection: http://www.border.gov.au/
Migration Agents Registration Authority: https://www.mara.gov.au/
Please Note: Neither the Professional Accounting Bodies nor SMIPA are associated in any way with the AIFA Professional Year Program for Bookkeepers.