Continuing Professional Development (CPD) enhances your knowledge and allows you to remain up to date with legislative, technical and professional accounting standards changes.
As a condition of your ongoing membership (excluding honorary, retired, life and student members) you are required to:
- Complete 120 hours of CPD over a three year period - a minimum of 20 hours must be completed in any single financial year. The maximum amount of unstructured learning permitted is 30 hours.
- Keep a record of your CPD activities - the record is to be retained for a minimum of five years after the end of the three year period and made available during an audit.
- Comply with the current Pronouncement 7 - details all requirements regarding CPD and IPA membership.
CPD requirements are based on a financial year and on a period of three years. The first three year period will commence on 1 July 2021 and finish on 30 June 2024.
New members are subject to the same three year period as existing members, however will be permitted to meet the requirements on a pro-rata basis until a new three year period commences.
CPD hours are not exclusive to attending events but can also include preparing and presenting at events and you can find out what activities can be included in your CPD hours by referring to Pronouncement 7.
Pronouncement 7 has changed, here is why.
As a condition of your ongoing membership (excluding honorary, retired, life and student members) AAT Members are required to:
- Complete 15 hours of CPD each year
- Keep a record of your CPD activities - the record is to be retained for a minimum of five years after the end of the three year period and made available during an audit
For more information about your CPD requirements, please visit the Tax Practitioner Board website.
All records of CPD activities must include:
- Date of activity
- Provider name
- Title of activity / description
- Whether activity is structured or unstructured
- Number of hours
You can use our CPD Records Feature to keep track of all your CPD activities in one central place.
Each year we conduct a CPD audit on a random selection of members.
If you are selected for an audit, it is mandatory to participate and you must provide a record of your CPD activities. Participation in the CPD audit qualifies you for 2 hours of CPD.
A failure to comply may result in a suspension / forfeiture of membership as detailed under Pronouncement 12.
In special circumstances, we may grant exemptions from CPD requirements (such as protracted health problems, maternity leave or other exceptional circumstances). Requests for an exemption must be in writing setting out the reasons for the exemption.