BAS Agent Registration Skill Set
The IPA is proud to deliver quality education pathways through our recommended training providers. We only recommend training that’s in line with our mission to improve the quality of life of small business. This means education that prepares students to serve clients effectively from the get-go. In other words, training that leaves you job-ready.
Monarch Institute is our training provider of choice. Established by finance industry veterans who wanted to deliver real-world training that actually served graduates and business, Monarch Institute delivers a variety of nationally accredited qualifications in accounting and bookkeeping. Today, thousands of Monarch Institute graduates serve small businesses around the country, in sole practice and big-name firms alike.
Getting registered as a professional BAS agent
Education is one of the biggest hurdles to registering as a professional BAS agent with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). Currently, the requirement is that you have a Certificate IV-level qualification in financial services (accounting and/or bookkeeping), plus a board approved course in GST and BAS.
If your Certificate IV qualification didn’t include the units in the board approved course, you can upgrade and meet the requirements with the BAS Agent Registration Skill Set. This two-unit short course is designed to get you up to speed and fulfil your education requirements as soon as possible, whilst ensuring you’re ready for the rigours of work experience and/or professional practice.
Studying with Monarch Institute
Your Monarch Institute study experience will be unlike any other education you’ve taken on in the past. It’s all about fitting your learning around your busy lifestyle. Study when and where you want – no class times, campus hours, or compulsory workshops. Enjoy great one-to-one support from expert trainers via phone, email, Facebook, Zoom, and more.
Unlike many other providers, your Monarch Institute course fee includes all textbooks and learning materials, including student edition access to the accounting software of your choice (MYOB or Xero). Most of your assessments will be short, manageable, and based on real-life work challenges. For each unit, there is a two-hour open book independently supervised assessment for BAS agent certification, mandated by the TPB.
Visit the Monarch Institute website today to find out more.
About the BAS Agent Registration Skill Set
The BAS Agent Registration Skill Set (FNSSS00004) is made up of two units:
Establish and maintain payroll systems (using MYOB or Xero) (MPA001) (FNSTPB402)
This unit is designed to get you ready to:
- Establish payroll requirements, including relevant legislation and modern awards
- Record payroll data
- Prepare and process payroll, including calculations, reconciliations, and payroll records
- Handle payroll enquiries from staff members in a responsible and ethical manner
- Maintain payroll records securely and in compliance with important regulations
- Complete business activity and instalment activity statements (using MYOB or Xero (MAS001) (FNSTPB401)
This unit will guide you through:
- The compliance requirements around BAS, IAS and other required reports
- How to recognise and apply GST implications, including coding transactions
- Reporting on payroll activities, including amounts withheld from pay for tax
- Completing and reconciling activity statements with other control accounts
- Lodging and activity statement, including appropriate signoffs
Get started today
Ready to start your enrolment? There are no course dates or enrolment deadlines; you can start any time. Call 1300 738 955 to chat to one of Monarch Institute’s friendly course consultants about your study options. Or visit the website to download a course brochure and find out more.