We are dedicated to supporting you throughout your career. Whatever stage you're at, we have a membership group that will provide you with the support and assistance you need.
Associate - Institute of Public Accountants (AIPA)
AIPA is our entry level of membership and is perfect if you're starting your accounting career. Joining is easy if you meet one of the below entry requirements:
- Eligible accounting qualification; OR
- Australian Diploma of Accounting
- Advanced Diploma of Accounting
- University Degree in Accounting
- University Graduate Diploma in Accounting
- Current membership with an International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) Member level body, IPA AIPA level equivalent (additional requirements may apply in certain jurisdictions due to local legislative requirements); OR
- Eligible statutory registration with Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) or/and Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) under your name (as below).
Work experience is not required if you meet one of the above requirements.
Member - Institute of Public Accountants (MIPA)
MIPA is a level higher than the AIPA designation.
You can join as a MIPA if you meet one of the below entry requirements.
- Qualifications and experience:
- Eligible accounting qualification (see AIPA requirement) + a post-graduate accounting qualification assessed to be equivalent to the IPA Program Stage 1 and
- industry experience assessed to be equivalent to the Mentored Experience Program (MEP) completion/full exemption; OR
- Current membership with an IFAC Member level body, IPA MIPA level equivalent(additional requirements may apply in certain jurisdictions due to local legislative requirements).
You can advance from AIPA to MIPA if you have:
- completed the IPA Program Stage 1 and the MEP; OR
- current membership with an IFAC Member level body, MIPA level equivalent.
Fellow - Institute of Public Accountants (FIPA)
If you're highly experienced in the accounting profession, you can become a FIPA.
You can join as a FIPA if you are currently a Fellow level member with an IFAC Member level body (additional requirements may apply in certain jurisdictions due to local legislative requirements).
In order to advance to a FIPA, you need at least seven consecutive years tenure as a MIPA. In addition, you'll need at least ten years accounting experience, with the last five years at a senior level.
Public BAS Practitioner Certificate
We recognise that professionalism and legal compliance are now integral parts of the BAS Agent services industry, and we're proud to offer you a specifically tailored practice certificate - Public BAS Practitioner.
To qualify as a Public BAS Practitioner, you need to hold an individual BAS Agent registration with the Tax Practitioner Board (TPB) and your services should be limited to BAS services. In addition, you must hold Professional Indemnity Insurance and complete our Public BAS Practitioner Program.
Professional Practice Certificate
Click here for more information on the PPC.
How to apply
Joining is easy! Click here to complete the fast-track online application.
The fees for each membership level can be viewed here.
To advance to the next stage of IPA membership, please complete the advancement application form.
Putting your membership on hold
We know that situations in life can lead to you stepping away from the accounting profession for a while. Whether it's family, illness or an extended holiday, you do have the option to apply for a temporary leave of membership. To apply for a leave of membership absence, please complete the leave of absence form.