The Accounting Professional Year Program is approved by the Department of Home Affairs (formerly the Department of Immigration and Border Protection). It is available to overseas students who have an Australian accounting degree qualification as a result of at least two years' study in Australia.
Accounting PYP consists of:
- A minimum of 44 weeks' training, including 32 weeks classroom study and 12-weeks internship placement providing valuable work experience in an approved Australian workplace completing relevant accounting tasks
- Professional development and practical hands-on learning, with an emphasis on workplace preparation: Culture, ethics and expectations
- Recognition as a pathway for 485 visa holders seeking permanent residency under general skilled migration (GSM)
Accounting PYP was developed by CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and the Institute of Public Accountants. It is delivered by registered providers who have been approved by the three professional accounting bodies.
Successful completion of Accounting PYP may attract additional points under the GSM points test.
Enrolment in any of the accounting bodies’ professional programs is independent of an individual’s participation in Accounting PYP or any other DoH-approved pathway to permanent residency.
Does the IPA provide Accounting PYP?
No. Accounting PYP is overseen by the three professional accounting bodies. The program is delivered by registered providers who have been jointly approved by the three bodies.
Please note – applications to deliver the Accounting PYP Program will be open in the latter half of 2018. All applicants must be either a Registered Training Organisation or a Higher Education Provider and been registered for at least three years.
To express an interest in becoming an approved Provider please email firstname.lastname@example.org with company details, contact information and RTO/HE registration number.
Approved Accounting PYP providers
- Academies Australasia Polytechnic: Melbourne
- Accountants Resource Centre (ARC): Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney, Hobart
- Australian Technology and Management College (ATMC): Melbourne, Sydney
- Education Centre of Australia (ECA): Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane
- Monash Professional Pathways: Melbourne
- Navitas Professional: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Darwin, Hobart
- Performance Education: Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane
- Stanley College: Perth
- The University of Queensland, Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education: (ICTE-UQ) Brisbane
- Department of Home Affairs: homeaffairs.gov.au
- Migration Agents Registration Authority: mara.gov.au/
- Please Note: Neither the Professional Accounting Bodies nor Accounting PYP are associated in any way with the AIFA Professional Year Program for Bookkeepers.
Click here to view Accounting PYP FAQs.