The Accounting Professional Year Program is approved by the Department of Home Affairs (formerly the Department of Immigration and Border Protection). It is available to overseas students who have an Australian accounting degree qualification as a result of at least two years' study in Australia.
Accounting PYP consists of:
- A minimum of 44 weeks' training, including 32 weeks classroom study and 12 weeks internship placement providing valuable work experience in an approved Australian workplace completing relevant accounting tasks
- Professional development and practical hands-on learning, with an emphasis on workplace preparation: Culture, ethics and expectations
- Recognition as a pathway for 485 visa holders seeking permanent residency under general skilled migration (GSM)
Accounting PYP was developed by CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and the Institute of Public Accountants. It is delivered by registered providers who have been approved by the three professional accounting bodies.
Successful completion of Accounting PYP may attract additional points under the GSM points test.
Enrolment in any of the accounting bodies’ professional programs is independent of an individual’s participation in Accounting PYP or any other DHA approved pathway to permanent residency.
Does the IPA provide Accounting PYP?
No. Accounting PYP is overseen by the three professional accounting bodies. The program is delivered by registered providers who have been jointly approved by the three bodies
To express an interest in becoming an approved provider, email email@example.com with your company details, contact information and RTO or HEP registration number. Applications to become an approved provider of the Accounting PYP are accepted every three years, the next opportunity will be 2022.
Approved Accounting PYP providers
- Accountants Resource Centre (ARC): Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney
- Australian Technology and Management College (ATMC): Melbourne and Sydney
- Education Centre of Australia (ECA): Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney
- Monash Professional Pathways: Melbourne
- Navitas Professional: Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney
- Performance Education: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney
- Stanley College: Perth
Please Note: Neither the Professional Accounting Bodies nor Accounting PYP are associated in any way with the AIFA Professional Year Program for Bookkeepers.
Click here to view Accounting PYP FAQs.