The original Future of Financial Advice (FoFA) legislation was in two separate but related Acts covering the best interests duty, ban on conflicted forms of remuneration, opt-in and changes to ASIC’s licensing and banning powers.
As part of the FoFA reforms, the accountants exemption was repealed on 1 July 2016. This exemption allowed recognised accountants (IPA members) to provide financial product advice about acquiring or disposing of an interest in a self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF) without holding Australian financial services (AFS) licence.
ASIC information sheet 216 has been issued by ASIC in an attempt to assist IPA members who provide services relating to SMSFs to ascertain what services members can provide and what services members cannot provide without an AFS licence. Information sheet 216 covers:
- how the Australian financial services licensing regime applies to SMSF services provided by IPA members, and how the law applying to IPA members has changed from 1 July 2016
- the various SMSF services IPA members may provide, and whether a licensing exemption applies to them or whether IPA members must be covered by an Australian financial services licence for that service.
IPA members can also view a summary of the ASIC information sheet 216 here.
The IPA have partnered with Shadforth Financial Group to provide IPA members with access to financial planning services through a referral arrangement with Shadforth.
A referral arrangement is when IPA members partner with an Australian financial services licence holder who can legally provide your clients with their financial advice needs.
Shadforth can help IPA members and their clients:
- deliver comprehensive SMSF, financial and wealth management advice to your individual, business, corporate and not for profit clients,
- provide personal and general insurance advice and mortgage broking,
- realise their lifestyle and business aspirations,
- provide integrated, strategic solutions based on your clients’ needs,
- work with you to ensure a seamless integration of your clients’ accounting or SMSF requirements within their overall financial plan,
- receive professional, comprehensive financial advice that is always in their best interests.
If you would like more information please contact Vicki Stylianou on (03) 8665 3140 or Andrew Best on (03) 8665 3148.