The Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA) is a professional year long program approved by the DIBP, available to international students who have obtained an Australian accounting qualification as a result of at least two years full time study in Australia.
- a minimum of 44 weeks' training, including a 12 week internship placement with a host employer
- professional development and practical hands-on learning, with an emphasis on workplace preparation
- recognition as a pathway for 485 graduate visa holders seeking permanent residency under General Skilled Migration (GSM).
Successful completion of SMIPA provides you with additional points under the GSM points test.
The SMIPA program was developed by the Institute of Public Accountants, the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and CPA Australia.
Enrolment in any of the accounting bodies’ professional programs is independent of an individual’s participation in SMIPA or any other DIBP approved pathways to permanent residency.
Does the IPA provide SMIPA?
No. SMIPA is overseen by the three professional accounting bodies. The program is delivered by registered providers who have been jointly approved by the three bodies.
Please note – applications to deliver the SMIPA Program will be open in the latter half of 2018. All applicants must be either a Registered Training Organisation or a Higher Education Provider and been registered for at least three years.
To express an interest in becoming an approved Provider please email firstname.lastname@example.org with company details, contact information and RTO/HE registration number.
Approved SMIPA providers
- Academies Australasia Polytechnic: Melbourne
- Accountants Resource Centre: Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne, Sydney
- Australian Technology and Management College (ATMC): Melbourne, Sydney
- Education Centre of Australia (ECA): Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane
- Monash Professional Pathways: Melbourne
- Navitas Professional: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Darwin and Hobart
- Stanley College: Perth
- The University of Queensland, Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education: (ICTE-UQ) Brisbane
- Performance Education: Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth
Department of Immigration and Border Protection: homeaffairs.gov.au
Migration Agents Registration Authority: mara.gov.au/
Please Note:Neither the Professional Accounting Bodies nor SMIPA are associated in any way with the AIFA Professional Year Program for Bookkeepers.
Click here to view SMIPA FAQs.