Professional Practice Program
Proudly brought to you by
The IPA Professional Practice Program was re-written in 2018. The new PPP content has been designed to provide IPA members in professional practice with up to date tools and strategies to successfully establish, manage and grow their practice. The content can also be used by non-practitioners as a refresher program.
The regulators, standard setters, government and the public all rely on the professional expertise, competence and ethics of IPA members. Therefore the IPA By-Laws have mandated that members moving into professional practice and want to hold a PPC must demonstrate competence in these key areas and complete the program within 6 months of receiving their PPC.
The new program equips members with:
- An appreciation of the history of accounting and where the industry is headed.
- APES standards and guidance notes.
- ASIC and TPB statutory registrations, AASB, AUASB, AML and FRC requirements.
- Business strategic planning, financing, staffing and marketing your practice.
- Cyber security management.
These skills are essential if you are to become successful in managing your accounting practice.
The PPP consists of a self-paced study component and a two day face-to-face workshop. We recommend participants allocate up to 80 hours to complete the self-paced study component, but this will depend on your work experience and any prior learning you have completed. The self-paced study component should be completed prior to attending the two day workshop.
The new PPP has been designed as 13 separate module’s that can be used independently as a reference tool for members in public practice or working in the corporate sector.
The assessment comprises of 30 multiple‐choice questions and you are permitted 1 hour to complete the assessment. You may refer to your course materials. There is 1 mark per question and you need to obtain at least 50% to successfully complete the assessment.
If you do not successfully complete your assessment, you will be offered an opportunity to re-sit the competency assessment at an additional cost. If you are still unsuccessful, you will be required to repeat the two day face-to-face workshop and successfully pass the assessment. The IPA reserves the right to cancel a member’s PPC in the event a member does not pass the assessment.
|New South Wales|
|Wednesday 19 & Thursday 20 February 2020|
|Monday 18 & Tuesday 19 May 2020|
|Wednesday 26 & Thursday 27 August 2020|
|Monday 16 & Tuesday 17 November 2020|
|Monday 17 & Tuesday 18 February 2020|
|Thursday 28 & Friday 29 May 2020|
|Thursday 15 & Friday 16 October 2020|
|Wednesday 25 & Thursday 26 March 2020|
|Monday 16 & Tuesday 17 March 2020|
|Monday 1 & Tuesday 2 June 2020|
|Monday 19 & Tuesday 20 October 2020|
|Monday 30 & Tuesday 31 March 2020|
More dates will be availables soon, please contact your Division.
Benefits of the Professional Practice Program
- A single point of reference that provides answers to most practitioner questions.
- A comprehensive set of course materials with case studies, illustrations and references.
- Guided learning to ensure you have covered practice essentials.
- Addresses overwhelming issues faced by new practitioners.
- Open, interactive and frank discussions with fellow practitioners.
- Expert examination of issues and arguments.
- 46 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Completes one of the mandatory conditions for PPC eligibility.
- Discussion of contentious issues common to accountants in practice together with expert advice.
- Guided learning to ensure you are on top of practice essentials.
- Provides advice and navigates a way through the maze of regulation.
Professional Practice Program
- Module - 1 Introduction to the Accounting Profession
- Module - 2 APES 100 Code of Ethics
- Module - 3 APES 200 All Members
- Module - 4 APES 300 Members in Public Practice
- Module - 5 Statutory registrations
- Module - 6 Regulatory Compliance
- Module - 7 Co-regulatory Compliance
- Module - 8 The Strategic Business Plan
- Module - 9 Financing your Practice
- Module - 10 Staffing your Practice
- Module - 11 Marketing your Practice
- Module - 12 Cyber Security
- Module - 13 Flexible Cloud Accounting Solution for your Clients
Program Content is subject to change
For more information on IPA Books+ click here.
David Sauer has over 30 years of public practice experience and now has a small practice specialising in financial reporting, professional standards and professional education. He has an SME client base where he assists accountants in their practices through written practical guides and training sessions.
Richard Collins has over 35 years public practice experience in accounting, taxation and audit. He has been CEO of an accounting firm, and now focuses on management consulting and forensic accounting.
Michele Rawlins has been an accountant for over 30 years and was in practice for over 17 years. She now specialises in practice improvement strategies and assists those in practice to modernise their business. She has practical experience and understands the challenges facing accountants in the current business environment, where change in all aspects of business, is a given.
The IPA PPP includes the tips and traps David, Richard and Michelle have distilled from working with many of your colleagues and observing the developments in the profession.
- Professional Practice Program: AUD $990 (inc GST)
- Professional Practice Program Regional Rate*: AUD $790 (inc GST)
The fee includes tuition, notes, assessment* and refreshments.
- Competency Assessment Resit : AUD $150 (inc GST)
- Competency Assessment Resit Regional Rate*: AUD $150 (inc GST)
*A regional member is a member residing more than 200 km from a metropolitan area.
How to register
Cancellations must be advised in writing at least 6 working days prior to the activity date. An administration fee of 10% of the registration fee (incl GST) will be incurred for cancellations. A refund will not be granted if a registrant fails to attend the activity or cancels within five working days prior to the activity. Course materials will not be sent out to registrants that fail to attend or cancel within the non-refundable period. Substitutions cannot be made.
For more information on IPA Books+ or to book a free demonstration, contact:
National Sales Manager
M: 1300 635 496